Coding time is the span of elapsed time from the first commit on a branch until a pull request is created for that branch. This metric is computed for all branches, regardless of what was the source branch.
- Computed using the commit and pull request activity of teams and members.
- GIT/VCS tools provide the data used to analyse the commit activity.
- For most high-performing teams, coding time <2 days.
- Dev Metric Grid
- Dev Cycle time
- Coding time metrics highlight areas of the codebase that require frequent changes due to low quality, enabling targeted improvements.
- Longer coding times for unfamiliar contributors indicate the need for additional support or training to reduce learning curves.
- Monitoring coding time helps track the impact of poorly specced tasks and changing requirements, prompting clearer task definitions to streamline coding processes.
- Understanding the impact of task size on coding time aids in task allocation and prioritization, leading to more efficient development workflows.